Whether you have or not yet, there are some positive upgrades such as the sleek new look, revamped playback controls, sync with your mp3 player and more intuitive media management for your large collections of video, audio and even album art.
However, like with anything, take the good with bad, and for Windows Media 11 there is no exception. After trying it myself, the first thing I went to test was video codec support. I found it to be lacking. This has been a big issue in previous versions of Windows Media players. Audio files are no problem, images, not an issue, its the video type support that falls short. Again, unless you are playing a standard AVI or WMV file for example ,there are issues with other codecs such as Xvid, DivX, Mov and so on.
So whats the solution if you want to keep using windows Media player 11 you ask? A Vista Codec Pack v5.x has just been released containing all the codecs you would possibly need to play your new and old video files.
Its a free download. With this package installed, you shouldn't need to install any other codec or filter. It does not contain a media player and it doesn't associates filetypes. With this package installed you will be able to use any media player, limited only by the players' capabilities, to play DVD's, movies and video clips of almost any filetype.
Streaming video is supported in all popular web browsers. By default you won't need to make any adjustments to enjoy a variety of media content immediately.
Get it at Softpedia.com , there are instructions there to assist you in the installation.
If you are using Windows XP and are unable to play DVD's in media player, here is a simple registry tweak to enable playing DVD's without having to get other programs to play it. Watch the video:
Other Tips Users have watched
- Enabling Remote Desktop from XP to Vista
- Speed up boot time in Vista with Ready Boost
- Windows Vista PowerToys - Tweaks from Microsoft TechNet
- Vista PowerToy - Free Image Resizer (on right click!)
- Alternative Tweaks to Boot Up Windows Faster
- Speed up your Windows Search
- Saving your Windows System from Disaster
- Windows Vista - Free Expose Desktop Effect
- Top 10 Free Windows Downloads to Tweak Performance
- Vista Sidebar Gadgets - How make them useful
- Windows Vista Versions - Explained
- Vista Aero Effects Explained - How to use and enable it
- DirectX 10 - Do you have the power?
- Free Cleaner for Windows - CCLeaner
- Free Up windows resources which are slowing you down